Friday, December 16, 2011

Hitch - My Tribute.

Today I pay tribute to a man who passed over into eternity last night in Texas. Christopher Hitchens, an aggressively outspoken atheist who was critical of Christianity and all forms of organized religion, was a man I loved deeply.

Years ago, Hitch debated William Lane Craig on the campus of Biola University. The subject was "God's existence," and I must say - it was one of the most entertaining debates I've seen. Hitch, a popular author and influential intellectual, was pitted against one of the most famous and able Christian philosophers of our day. The debate itself was a bit of a mismatch simply because the two participants came from different fields and associated communication styles. However, it was entertaining simply because there did seem to be a mutual respect on the parts of both participants for the other. Hitch knew Craig was the man where philosophy was concerned, and Craig knew Hitch was one of the most witty and influential writers on the planet. As a result, there was no mudslinging, no grandstanding, and there were many moments of laughter.

A few weeks after the debate, I began a one-on-one dialogue with Christopher that was delightful to say the least. I knew Hitch had been critical of my faith and he knew that people like me had been critical of him. Even so, I felt like he respected me as a pastor even though I know he disagreed with my philosophy and theology. Anyway, he and I discussed the possibility of his coming to Salt Lake City to participate in a public dialogue with myself and others on the subject of "How Christians and Atheists Can Work together To Build a Better World." I know, I know - many of you are probably thinking, "How in the world could Christians and atheists EVER work together?" Well, you might be surprised at how the image of God sometimes rears its head even in men who refuse to acknowledge it. I've always believed that peace is achievable when men choose to focus on what unites them rather than on what divides them, and like it or not, Christians and atheists do have a few common goals. Of course, that's the subject of another discussion, but suffice it to say I found in Christopher a person who, regardless of his aggression in the past, was very open to dialogue and respectful collegiality.

Unfortunately, Christopher was diagnosed with a very bad type of cancer, so he and I were never able to proceed with our plans to meet publicly in Utah. However, I prayed for him often and thought of him with a holy affection. When I say that I loved Hitch deeply, I mean it. And even more so, I know God loved him. I'm not sure what lay at the root of Chris' refusal to believe in and follow Christ, and I would never speculate concerning his status before God (I don't believe it's in man's purview to make such pronouncements), but I know that behind the wall of every human heart is a child longing to know, spend time with, and be loved by his heavenly Father. In a sense, we're all orphans who are looking for the Dad we somehow know exists somewhere.

When I think of Christopher Hitchens, I see a man who, even though he had come to different conclusions in his thinking, was a man not very much unlike myself. We're all on a journey, trying to live and love, and trying to find out who we are and where we're going. It breaks my heart that we've lost, prematurely I think, a friend like Hitch. Even though I disagreed with him, the simple fact is that Christianity is better because of him. He forced many of us out of our complacency. He forced us to to stand up and act. He challenged the faith that many of us have, without serious reflection, professed for many years. He challenged our apathy and demanded that we rise up and face him. In the end, I know of at least one Christian pastor who has a stronger faith because of Christopher Hitchens. And for that, I'm grateful.

So to Christopher Hitchens I raise my glass at this, the hour of his departure, and pay my respects. Love ya Hitch :) I shan't soon forget you, my friend.